See How VLAN’s Can Benefit You
There are always new ways to improving the way you manage your life. The idea behind technology is to make your way of life easier not more difficult. With that said let us look at VLANS and how they can benefit you.
So what exactly are VLANS? VLAN stands for Virtual Local Area Network. Although it may sound complicated a VLAN is simply a logical group of workstation, servers and network devices that appear to be on the same LAN despite their geographical distribution. By using a VLAN your essentially allowing your network of computers and users to communicate in a simulated environment as if they existed in a single LAN. This would appear as if you are sharing a single broadcast and multicast domain.
One of the benefits is the ability to simplify your network design by grouping hosts with a common set of requirements regardless of their physical location. A VLAN membership can be configured through a set of software instead of physically relocating devices or connections. Some of the issues that VLANS address are:
- Scalability: Scalability is the ability of a system, network or process to handle a growing amount of work, it also allows for the ability to be enlarged to accommodate any growth that may come down the line.
- Security: The best practices to increase your security when using VLANs are avoiding use of VLAN1(default VLAN) as the network data VLAN, deploying VTP domain, disabling any high-risk protocols on any port that doesn’t require them , Controlling inter-VLAN routing through the use of IP access Lists.
- Network Management: VLANs allow for the ability to remotely manage your devices. It also allows a network manager to logically segment a LAN into different broadcast domains. This can come in really handy when dealing with an Automated Home and the various devices that entails.
So why use a VLAN?
- Performance: If you have a network where traffic consist of a high percentage of multicasts and broadcast, VLANs can reduce the need to send this type of traffic to unnecessary destinations.
- Reduced cost: by switching to a VLAN you can eliminate the need for expensive routers. VLANs can be used to create broadcast domains
- Security: Security is a major deal now a days. We are seeing many aspects of our lives interconnected. If you rely on the “cloud” for tasks such as running your Automated Home it is essential to have a safe network that you can rely on.
Cyber Technologies with over a decade of experience has helped many customers choose the proper VlAN’s for their personal usage. Along with years of experience in business networks Cyber Technologies is also knowledgeable in the following services: